With dance, each discipline is different…a ballet barre is different from a fast jazz combination. However, I believe with the below guidelines in place, our students will be able to comfortably and safely dance in our studios.
A quick side note – just yesterday, we had our very first Mini PPL class, with dancers ages 5-6. Every one of them was voluntarily wearing a mask, and they all did just fine! I have spoken with studio owners and instructors across the country who have required masks and the majority of them say as long as you allow breaks the students are just fine. They are happy just to be back, in person, in the studio, and dancing.
During each class, the following things will be done to ensure the student’s safety and comfort:
- As previously stated, once in the studio, each student will set their dance bag on X’s that are 6 feet apart. When possible, we will stagger students so they are 12 feet apart.
- While they are at their X’s changing shoes in between classes, they may remove their mask for a quick break, remaining socially distant from one another. Masks must be put back on prior to leaving their X.
- Faculty have been instructed to work on techniques, elements, and aspects that are lower aerobic. Strength, flexibility, proper placement, and details of steps will be a focus this summer, to ensure comfort for the student in class. There is a LOT of material that is lower aerobic that will greatly benefit these dancers and continue to push them to improve. This is not to say that they won’t jump, leap, do fast combinations, or have any aerobic activity, it is to say that the teachers will be acutely aware of the present situation and plan classes accordingly.
- Faculty has also been reminded to remain extremely aware and cognizant of the students in class and how they are feeling,acting and behaving physically.
- Once a combination is learned, students will run it in groups to offer breaks. When a student’s group is not dancing, they will wait on their X, and may take a brief moment to remove their mask. Mask must be put back on prior to leaving their X.
- If a student needs a break, they simply need to raise their hand and ask the teacher. They would then go to their X for their quick break.
- Reminder that each student should bring her own filled water bottle. No food is allowed during class.
- As always the final decision is up to the family…if anyone would like to switch to virtual they are welcome to do so. Please email Stephanie if you would prefer to switch to virtual classes.